New Wave Of Attacks On Civilians In Congo

The United Nations (UN) on Friday reported a series of fresh attacks against civilians in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). 

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

The United Nations (UN) on Friday reported a series of fresh attacks against civilians in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

According to Farhan Haq, deputy spokesman for the UN secretary-general, at least 34 civilians had been killed in attacks in Ituri and North Kivu provinces, citing the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

At least 15 civilians were reportedly killed in Ituri’s Irumu and Mambasa between Tuesday and Thursday. Many fleed to the neighbouring villages in the North Kivu province due to the violence, according to Haq.

An armed group attacked North Kivu’s Oicha near the border with Ituri, reportedly killing at least 19 civilians on Tuesday and Wednesday. He said local partners reported that many civilians were attacked while working in their fields. Several others remain missing.

In Ituri’s Mambasa, noted for its gold deposits, at least 130 civilians have reportedly been killed and more than 500 have been abducted since the middle of March. 68,000 people within Mambasa and the neighbouring Tshopo province have been displaced due to the violence while over 310,000 people have been displaced across Beni and Lubero in North Kivu.

“Our humanitarian partners are currently assessing displacement and urgent needs,” said Haq “As you can imagine, these attacks are heightening humanitarian and protection concerns in the northern parts of eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo. We reiterate our call on all parties to the conflict to immediately cease attacks against civilians and on all parties to uphold their obligations under international humanitarian law.”

The Democratic Republic of Congo has been enduring a long-standing humanitarian crisis due to decades of armed conflict over control of its abundant resources. The nation has been severely restricted by weak governance, lack of infrastructure, and a stunted economy. More than 100 different armed groups are fighting for territory and control in eastern DRC, causing massive displacement, hunger, and diseases. It is currently the largest displacement crisis in Africa.

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img
Sreelakshmi B
Sreelakshmi B
Sree Lakshmi is a prominent news writer, currently associated with Prayan News (A Prayan Media Network's Product) as an intern. Currently, she is pursuing her degree in Journalism and Mass Communication.
Latest news
- Advertisement -spot_img
Related news
- Advertisement -spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here